Monday, July 6, 2009

Jet Lag or just really tired


Sunday and Monday in Shanghai.

It's either jet lag or an accumulated lack of sleep. In the weeks prior to this trip, John and I were running at 110%. I tried to wrap up as much as I could at work, at the same time keeping up with my health routine. Staying up late, then up early for spinning or boot camp. My sister and her beau arrived on Wednesday to couch camp with us and stay with the cats. So of course I stayed up late visiting with her.

So what do we do when we get here. Sleep, eat breakfast at the hotel (included with the room), run down to the corner Family Mart for fancy raimen noodle soups (I love the super spicy one - I need to find it when I get back to Dallas at our local Asian food store, H Mart). Nap again.

We did plan for our trip to the GBF plant in the Hangzhou area on Tuesday. This included a 4km round trip trek to the Railway office for tickets. Shanghai is HOT and STEAMY. When I got back, I was exhausted from the heat. After a bath, took another nap.

Our apartment hotel is at the edge of the finest upscale shopping areas and the local hardware store district. My trek for tickets went through the hardware district which consists fo many of little shops selling, tank gauges, giant industrial glue sticks, piping, gaskets, wood carpentry pieces, tool shops, lazer levelers, and other construction/industrial items. Each shop sold only a small range of items and had 2-3 very hot, tired clerks, ready to service any need for these pieces. In addition, the sidewalks are parking and roads for bicycles and motorcycles, also construction abounds.

A successful trek, as I returned with tickets for the train to and from Hangzhou, where our hosts from GBF planned to pick us up for the trip out to the plant. Traffic laws in Shanghai seem to be considered suggestions, rather than law, so it was an adventure of dodging pedestrians, bicycles and motorcycles on the sidewalks and taxis in the crosswalks.

On the way back, I found a gem of a local cafe, Cafe 85 degrees C, which sells delightful pastries, foccica breads with wonderful toppings, frozen drinks, coffee and tea. I know where I'm having breakfast while I'm here.

It's to bed early again, (yea!! more sleep), as our train leaves for Hangzhou at 06:08, yawn.

More to come.

No comments: