Thursday, July 17, 2008

Beijing China

So, the first full day in China, and of course I go shopping. I'm getting a couple of custom suits made for me while I'm here. We went to the Silk Factory to get them. Here you can also see how silk is made.

This picture is of the silk being pulled off the cocoon of the silk worm pupa. The cocoon is boiled in water allowed to cool, then you pull the one strand off the cocoon match with 7 others to make an 8 strand thread. The thread around a single cocoon is a mile long.
Also, nothing is wasted, after pulling the silk off the cocoon, the pupas are considered food.. ewww. But if you like to experiment, you can buy a can of silk worm pupas for consumption at the Super H Mart in Carrollton TX. No? I didn't think so. However, my Chinese guide Nancy, says they are full of protein and very healthy for you.



Nancy and I got to the Silk Factory via the Beijing Subway system. The subway's signs are in both Chinese and English. The subway was an easy walk from the hotel and the shop we went too.




No comments: