Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Clearer Day in Beijing

Nothing exciting today. Just changed hotels from the Crowne Plaza to the Oriental Bay Hotel. We join the Champion Holiday Bejing / Yangtze River Tour tomorrow.

The OBH is on the 2nd Ring Road, right next to the Moat. That's right, the moat. The hotel sits on the outer wall of the old Beijing. I went for a walk along the moat, found a "serenity spa" where I got a 60 yuan ($10) 30 minute massage. A bit inexpert, but nice nonetheless. Also, note, the government policies are starting to work. See the blue sky over Beijing. The Chinese government shutdown factories for 2 months before the Olympics on 8/8/2008. Tomorrow, there will be an even/odd rule of cars. Only cars with even license plates will be allowed to drive, then the next day odd license plate. This is the clearest day I've seen yet.
In the 2-3 miles of my walk, I noticed at least 10 people involved in either cleaning the moat or the street.
I love the esthetics of the moat, the retaining wall around the moat is made of concrete formed to look like wood.
I stopped for water at a small convenience store and found Pabst Blue Ribbon Water?? (In Texas, it's Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer.
The hotel is well located near a subway station.






More later,

TMBWitW



No comments: